Ever been curious about the ingredients in your nail polish? Well, we did the research so you don’t have to! The EPA classifies normal nail polish as household hazardous waste, click here to find out where you can properly dispose of your old toxic polish, and read below to find out what’s in your nail polish and the brand that is making nail polish safe.
Most nail polishes contain toxic chemicals, including Formaldehyde, Toluene and Dibutyl Phthalate(DBT). And these are just to name a few! Formaldehyde is a chemical carcinogen released into the air through hazardous waste items – long-term exposure can cause cancer. Toluene also is released into the air, seeps into your skin, and is known to cause birth defects, long-term central nervous system issues, as well as liver and kidney damage. Dibutyl Phthalate is linked to reproductive and respiratory problems, and possibly cancer.
These are the top three chemicals contained in most nail polishes, but by no means the only ones. Below are five more ingredients often found in nail polish, and their potential effects on your health:
- Camphor – can cause serious skin irritations and respiratory damage
- Parabens – disrupt hormone function, which can lead to cancer and reproductive issues
- Triphenyl Phosphate (TPHP) – linked to reproductive harm
- Xylene – an allergen, which can have a negative impact on your central nervous system
- Gluten – can cause serious health problems for those who are gluten-intolerant
It’s not all bad news though! Côte Nail Polish does not contain any of these ingredients and still produces high-quality, beautifully colored products.
We believe you shouldn’t have to sacrifice your health to have gorgeous nails, and with Côte, it seems you don’t have to!